Thursday 19 April 2007

Continuing with the project.




Over the last few days i have been taking aspects found in the documentation I made of india, aspects of photos, observations ect and researching into how i can carry them on further. I have been interested in the Hindu festival holi which is the celebration where people throw paint at each other and everyone is covered in bright and vibrant colours. I would like to try to use this influence and stage a large paint fight, people could wear white clothes and masks and I would then like to use the covered clothes to create a sculpture or an installation. I would also document the paint fight, videoing it for a performative aspect of the work and also photographing it to capture certain moments in time.
I am interested in the ways figures can be used in art work, how they can become sculptural. I was influenced by the photos I have taken in India of people carrying baskets and suitcases on their heads, by doing this the people become sculptural. Also the figures wrapped in shawls and saris become distorted forms. I have started to play with these ideas photographing digitally and using film, wrapping people in cloths and shawls and balancing things on their heads. I have also taken some photos of people with tribal designs which I drew onto their face and have started to research into tribal designs and when where and why people do this. I am interested in the indiginous population of different clutures and different rituals and ceramonies around the world. I have also started to experiment with the idea of distorting the human form and using it within work itself by making some wire and papier mache headresses which elongate the shape on the body, once they are made i am going to photogaph people wearing them standing, sitting and lying in different positions. Secondary research has lead me to look at artists such as Gormley, Niki de saint phalle, Erwin wurm and Rebecca horn amoungst others. I am also looking at the fashion designs of Alexander Mcqueen as he often makes his clothes very exaggerated and unusual, often they are not flattering to the human form but distort it.

No comments: